Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mornings

Alexis AKA The Blur,
recently commented on how I have
so few pictures of her lately.

Could this be why?

This is what our mornings look like.
Everyone grabs a quick smoothie or sausage biscuit
and literally runs out the door.

What happened to breakfast with the family?

After the morning rush I feel like
we've been through a cyclone.
The house looks like we've been through a cyclone.

I remember our elderly neighbors
Earl and Hazel Kevitch. I miss them so.
Earl was a concert violinist for the Utah Symphony.
He would practice with his window open.
If I took the time and stopped,
I could enjoy his beautiful music.
Even at age 90, he still had it.

One morning was particularly hectic for the Hardy household.
I had driven in and out of my driveway
about a half dozen times in a 20 minute period,
running kids here and there.

Earl noticed.

I had pulled in the driveway,
ran inside the house to grab something I had forgotten,
slammed the back door and ran back to my car.
I started pulling out of the driveway
when I saw Earl in the rear view mirror.
He was standing in the middle of my driveway.
I slammed on my brakes and got out of my car
to see what was the matter.
Earl said, emphatically,
"Rush, Rush, Rush. You are always rushing!"

He was right.

That is what I do best.
Earl told me to slow down and enjoy life.
I have tried. Then life starts catching up on me.

But every once in a while, I stop to catch my breath.
And try to listen to the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment